Who is running this?
The Australian Computing Academy (ACA) is a Commonwealth funded project developing resources that will be freely available to students and teachers across Australia to learn about programming and related concepts in Digital Technologies.
Before starting in his role at the Australian Computing Academy, Bruce was acting as the Associate Principal of Gungahlin College, a government school in the ACT of around 1200 students in Years 11 and 12. Bruce has 13 years experience working in secondary schools, and was a member of the advisory group for the writing of the Australian Curriculum: Technologies. He was the 2016 ACCE/ACS Australian ICT Educator of the Year, and founding President of Information Technology Educators ACT.
Dr Nicky Ringland is an Educator at the Australian Computing Academy and Outreach Officer at the National Computer Science School. She completed her PhD in Computer Science at the University of Sydney, and is a co-founder of Grok Learning. Nicky is passionate about teaching the next generation the skills they need to become the creators of tomorrow.
Who Should Attend?
- Primary and secondary teachers looking to improve their understanding of the Digital Technologies curriculum
- Teachers and technology leaders seeking resources to support the implementation of the curriculum
What will the workshop include?
- Case studies showcasing existing practice, and school-wide scope & sequence, incorporating ACA resources
- Hands on experiences with free, classroom-ready resources that target the Digital Technologies curriculum
- Introduction to various programming tools available, including visual and text-based programming, and object-oriented approaches.
- Deep dive into Blockly and Python programming, covering coding aspects of years 5-6 and 7-8 curriculum, focusing on defining and decomposing real-world problems, designing algoriothms and implementing programs.
This workshop is free to attend. Food will be provided.
Bring yourself and a laptop. We'll organise the rest, including lunch and snacks both days, as well as lots of class-room ready resources to take away.
This workshop was initially scheduled for March 29th & 30th, but unfortunately had to be postponed due to Cyclone Debbie.
The Australian Computing Academy is an initiative of, and funded by, the Australian Government Department of Education and Training.